Quantcast

Adding Java stack traces (and more)

DanielLewis
Hi everyone,

I'm researching logging standards for BlueCat Networks and I'd like to recommend that BCN adopt CEE, but there's a problem: one can't put Java stack traces in CEE logs. Looking at stack traces is an important part of our current troubleshooting and debugging processes. Being unable to log traces would diminish BCN's ability to resolve issues.

It'd be absolutely awesome if the development team decided before August 14th whether CEE should/can/will include stack traces (and file data and attachments), as I'll probably be giving an in-company presentation about logging standards (with a focus on CEE) then.

Thanks,
Daniel

Re: Adding Java stack traces (and more)

zrlram
Is there anything specifically you are missing to log stack traces?

You can use a new fieldname, like 'stack' and add the entire stack trace into that field. You can put multi-line information in there. Does that work?

  -raffy

--
  Raffael Marty
  @raffaelmarty                                          http://raffy.ch

On Aug 7, 2012, at 11:47 AM, Daniel Lewis wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm researching logging standards for BlueCat Networks and I'd like to recommend that BCN adopt CEE, but there's a problem: one can't put Java stack traces in CEE logs. Looking at stack traces is an important part of our current troubleshooting and debugging processes. Being unable to log traces would diminish BCN's ability to resolve issues.
>
> It'd be absolutely awesome if the development team decided before August 14th whether CEE should/can/will include stack traces (and file data and attachments), as I'll probably be giving an in-company presentation about logging standards (with a focus on CEE) then.
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

Re: Adding Java stack traces (and more)

DanielLewis
Thank you Raffy,

I was misinformed about not being able to put stack traces in CEE logs. That works.

-Daniel