CEE Names

STOECKP

CEE brethren,

The ceeNameType defined in the CEE schema uses this type for all unique identifiers of objects in a profile. I am curious as to the reasons that the ceeNameType  does not support "." and ":" for identifier names as these are used in SCAP. Almost all other SCAP standards encourage naming standards like "com.foo.cee:123" but for some reason there is a restriction for the name characters to simple alphanumeric and the underscore.

  <xs:simpleType name="ceeNameType">

    <xs:restriction base="xs:string">

      <xs:pattern value="[A-Za-z_0-9][A-Za-z0-9_]{0,31}"/>

      <xs:maxLength value="32"/>

    </xs:restriction>

  </xs:simpleType>

Was this just and oversight?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul W. Stoecker, Ph.D.

Principal Software Engineer

AnalyticsSecurity Management Content & Solutions

RSA, The Security Division of EMC
o: 508.599.2743 | c: 302.379.3375 | e: [hidden email]

Re: CEE Names

Eric Fitzgerald

Hi Paul,

If I recall correctly, the editorial board was concerned about collisions with delimiters.

Eric

Re: CEE Names

heinbockel
The issue is trying to maximize cross-platform and cross-language compatibility.

Most languages and XML support names of [a-zA-Z0-9_]

In supporting . or : in names, you encourage the use of namespaces, which can expand the message size and processing overhead. What we do not want to see happen is to have an event that is the mix of several different namespaces. To discourage this, we decided not to support . or : as name identifiers and limit the name size.

The only event namespace that needs to be known within an event message is the actual (product, vendor, version) tuple corresponding to the device that created the event.

William Heinbockel