CIS Signs a Non-Exclusive License Agreement with DHS for OVAL

CIS Signs a Non-Exclusive License Agreement with DHS for OVAL

Danny Haynes
Administrator

MITRE is pleased to announce that the Center for Internet Security (CIS) signed a non-exclusive license agreement for OVAL with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).  The license grants CIS an irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide copyright license, with the right to sublicense to copy, publish, and distribute OVAL in any way, to prepare derivative works that are based on or incorporate all or part of OVAL solely for the purpose of developing and promoting cybersecurity and enabling the use of OVAL or derivative products by sub-licensees or other users.  Under the license, CIS plans to take on the following activities.

·         Support the OVAL Board in creating and maintaining the XML schemas and specifications for the OVAL Language

·         Support community contributions to the OVAL Language

·         Support the OVAL Board in creating and publishing milestone releases of the OVAL Language

·         Host and support OVAL email forums as well as maintain an OVAL website

·         Process community OVAL Content submissions and make them freely available for all users through a CIS-hosted OVAL repository

The transition of OVAL to CIS, where it can continue as a community-moderated effort, represents 12+ years of hard work by the community and an opportunity to improve on many of the tools and processes associated with moderating OVAL.  We are confident the new tools and processes will put OVAL in a better position to accept contributions from the community and evolve to meet the needs of the community in a timely manner.  While this transition marks the end of MITRE’s day-to-day operations of OVAL, we will remain part of the community while we focus our efforts on taking the concepts and lessons learned from OVAL into the IETF.

Danny

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DISCUSSION-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].