CPE events of interest at ITSAC 2011

Brant Cheikes

CPE Community,

As most of you are aware, ITSAC 2011 starts next Monday, October 31, and runs thru Wednesday, November 2.  Information about the event and a final agenda can be found here: http://www.nist.gov/itl/csd/7th-annual-scap-conference.cfm

I’d like to make you aware of three CPE-related events which may be of interest:

1.      Mon Oct 31 @ 5p-6:30p (room TBD): Birds-of-a-Feather (BOF) session on CPE and software ID tagging (aka ISO/IEC standard 19770-2 on software identification tags).

2.      Tue Nov 1 @ 11:45a-12:30p (Automation Specifications track): I’ll be giving an overview of CPE 2.3, primarily directed to those who are new to CPE.

3.      Tue Nov 1 @ 1:30p-2:15p (Automation Specifications track): Chris McCormick of Booz Allen will be discussing CPE dictionary management practices at NIST NVD.

I want to draw your attention in particular to Monday’s BOF.  MITRE recently joined TagVault.org, the non-profit organization that promotes and supports software industry adoption of the software ID (SWID) tagging standards.  Together we are exploring the “interconnects” between the CPE and SWID standards, and considering ways in which the two standards could grow together in mutually supportive and beneficial ways.  Steve Klos, Executive Director of TagVault, will be attending ITSAC next week, and he and I will be co-leading the BOF session.  Steve will be giving a short presentation on software ID tagging and his thoughts about the benefits that SWID offers the CPE community and vice versa.  If you’d like to learn more about this topic and join the conversation, I encourage you to participate in the BOF.

See you at ITSAC!

/Brant

Brant A. Cheikes
The MITRE Corporation
202 Burlington Road, M/S K302
Bedford, MA 01730-1420
Tel. 781-271-7505; Cell. 617-694-8180; Fax. 781-271-2352

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment