Draft of charter

Paul Anderson

All:

Joe, Andrew, and I got together this afternoon and have agreed on a draft of the charter as can be found in the document referenced below.

I’ve set permissions on this so that anyone with the link can view and comment, so please feel free to do so. This location is temporary; I assume that once this is agreed upon we will settle on a different location for it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uLaW_p5lInS1_JFeXQe2-55erUfZLo7y2vKodo7Fd0A/edit?usp=sharing

Enjoy!

-Paul

--

Paul Anderson, VP of Engineering, GrammaTech, Inc.

531 Esty St., Ithaca, NY 14850

Tel: +1 607 273-7340 x118; https://www.grammatech.com

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments from GrammaTech, Inc may contain confidential and/or proprietary information, and is intended only for the named recipient to whom it was originally addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, distribution, or copying of this e-mail or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments.

Re: Draft of charter

asummers
Administrator

Paul,

Good morning. Happy Friday! I hope you are well.

Google drive is actually blocked on MITRE’s network. Would it be possible for you to share a .doc file, perchance?

Cheers,

Alec

--

Alec J. Summers

Cyber Solutions Innovation Center

Group Leader, Software Assurance Research & Practice

Cyber Security Engineer, Lead

O: (781) 271-6970

C: (781) 496-8426

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

MITRE - Solving Problems for a Safer World

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments from GrammaTech, Inc may contain confidential and/or proprietary information, and is intended only for the named recipient to whom it was originally addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, distribution, or copying of this e-mail or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments.

RE: [External] - Re: Draft of charter

Paul Anderson

Alec:

Well that’s unfortunate! Doubly unfortunate is that due to our own restrictions I can’t easily share a .doc on Sharepoint.

I was toying with the idea of submitting a PR with a markdown version to the github project. I have good experience with that approach with another committee I’m on. I’m happy to do that if you like.

In the interim, it’s short enough that I’ve pasted the text below.

-Paul

Mission

The CWE/CAPEC advisory board is entrusted with ensuring that the CWE and CAPEC programs meet the needs of the cybersecurity and software assurance community. The primary responsibility of the board members is to work with each other and the community, and to oversee CWE and CAPEC, guide their strategic direction, and advocate for their use.

Background

CWE and CAPEC were sponsored by the US Government, who designated MITRE Corporation as the technical lead with retention of ownership of all properties and rights. MITRE will continue to operate as secretariat and manage the resources, with this board serving in an advisory capacity.

Scope

Board members represent various stakeholders including cybersecurity and software assurance practitioners, tool vendors, tool users, academia, researchers, and government departments and agencies. Specific responsibilities of the board include the following:

  • The definition and scope of what is covered under CWE and CAPEC
  • Guiding the creation of recommendations for the usage of CWE and CAPEC
  • Advising on the creation, curation, assurance, and evolution of resources such as the CWE and CAPEC content, databases, and websites
  • Communicating the mission of the board and use of CWE and CAPEC to others such as the press and the public
  • Interfacing and coordinating with other relevant organizations, standards, and efforts such as ISO/IEC, ITU-T, SAE, CVE, OWASP, etc.
  • Defining and implementing rules for membership of the board and its routine activities, as guided by this charter and any resulting by-laws