[EXT] CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

[EXT] CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

Kurt Seifried
CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

RE: [EXT] CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

The CWE site appears to be working for the team here at MITRE.  Checked both an internal and external connection. Is anyone else having issues accessing the CWE web sites?

CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

Re: [EXT] CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

asummers

It’s not down for me. Loads fine…

--

Alec J. Summers

Cyber Solutions Division

Group Leader, Software Assurance

Cyber Security Engineer, Lead

O: (781) 271-6970

C: (781) 496-8426

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

MITRE - Solving Problems for a Safer World

From: Kurt Seifried <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 10:56 AM
To: CWE Research Discussion <[hidden email]>

CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

Re: [EXT] CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

Kent Landfield

Yep. Works here as well. The link below must be having issues as it states cwe.mitre.org is down for me while I have the CWE site up in a different window…

Thank you, Gracias, Grazie,  谢谢, Merci!, Спасибо!, Bedankt,Danke!ありがとうधन्यवाद!

--

Kent Landfield

+1.817.637.8026

[hidden email]

From: Alec J Summers <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 10:00 AM
To: "Seifried, Kurt" <[hidden email]>, CWE Research Discussion <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [EXT] CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

CAUTION: External email. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

From: Kurt Seifried <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 10:56 AM
To: CWE Research Discussion <[hidden email]>

CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

RE: [EXT] CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

Harchar, John E [US] (AS)

Not down for me in Florida.

The CWE site appears to be working for the team here at MITRE.  Checked both an internal and external connection. Is anyone else having issues accessing the CWE web sites?

CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

Re: [EXT] CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

Kurt Seifried
For myself at home:

% dig cwe.mitre.org

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> cwe.mitre.org

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 33980

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:

; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;cwe.mitre.org. IN A

;; Query time: 200 msec

And via a VPN in Vancouver, however some other sites do find the DNS e.g. https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=a%3acwe.mitre.org&run=toolpage

The weird thing is I can dig cve.mitre.org no problems

Aha it also fails with google's web dns tool (and weirdly cve.mitre.org works):

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#A/

so it's definitely "widespread" for some value of "widespread".

From: Kurt Seifried <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 10:56 AM
To: CWE Research Discussion <[hidden email]>

Kurt Seifried

From: Kurt Seifried <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 10:56 AM
To: CWE Research Discussion <[hidden email]>

CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

--
Kurt Seifried

Kurt Seifried

Re: [EXT] CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

Josh Bressers
I'm also seeing problems

➜  w host cwe.mitre.org  208.67.222.222
Using domain server:
Name: 208.67.222.222
Address: 208.67.222.222#53
Aliases:

Host cwe.mitre.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
➜  w host cwe.mitre.org
Host cwe.mitre.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
➜  w host cwe.mitre.org 208.67.222.222 #OpenDNS
Using domain server:
Name: 208.67.222.222
Address: 208.67.222.222#53
Aliases:

Host cwe.mitre.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
➜  w host cwe.mitre.org 8.8.8.8 # Google
Using domain server:
Name: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53
Aliases:

Host cwe.mitre.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
➜  w host cwe.mitre.org 1.1.1.1 # Cloudflare
Using domain server:
Name: 1.1.1.1
Address: 1.1.1.1#53

From: Kurt Seifried <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 10:56 AM
To: CWE Research Discussion <[hidden email]>

CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

Re: [EXT] CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

Kurt Seifried
Yeah now I'm seeing 0 second TTL for records where I can get an answer (0 is and aggressive caching strategy ;):

id 55259 opcode QUERY rcode NOERROR flags QR RD RA ;QUESTION mitre.org. IN A ;ANSWER mitre.org. 0 IN A 52.45.20.31 ;AUTHORITY ;ADDITIONAL

From: Kurt Seifried <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 10:56 AM
To: CWE Research Discussion <[hidden email]>

Kurt Seifried

RE: [EXT] CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

Thank you for all the help.  We are looking into this issue and will work to get it resolved as soon as we can.  We will update the list when we have more information.

Re: [EXT] CWE website is down - any eta on it coming back?

Steve Overland
Just came back online for me as I was deciding whether to send this email.