FEEDBACK REQUESTED: OVAL Content Development Process

FEEDBACK REQUESTED: OVAL Content Development Process

Jon Baker
Administrator

As the OVAL Moderator, MITRE is would like to better understand the current OVAL Content development practices and any challenges that the community faces. We have put together the following questions to gather information about how the community is developing content and what tools are being used for content development. Please take a few minutes to help us understand your process and any challenges you face in developing OVAL Content.

*** We do not intend to share the responses publicly and will only use your responses to help us focus our efforts as we look for opportunities to assist in OVAL Content development practices. In order to ensure that your responses are not public, please send all responses to [hidden email] ****

Developing new Content

- When developing new OVAL Content what tools do you use?

- What aspects of your OVAL Content development process are manual?

- What aspects of your OVAL Content development process are automated?

- What types of capabilities are lacking currently for developing new OVAL Content?

- What aspects of the content development are particularly difficult?

Updating and Maintaining Content

- When updating and maintaining OVAL Content what tools do you use?

- What aspects of your OVAL Content development process are manual?

- What aspects of your OVAL Content development process are automated?

- What types of capabilities are lacking currently for editing OVAL Content?

- What aspects of the content maintenance are particularly difficult?

General

- What platforms do you develop OVAL Content for?

- How do you research information for OVAL Definitions?

- What sources do you find useful for creating OVAL Definitions?

- Are there things that the sources (Microsoft, Red Hat, NIST (USGCB/FDCC), DISA (STIGS) , etc.) could do to make content creation easier?

- What could MITRE could do to make content creation easier?

- Are there things that MITRE could do to reduce the content development effort (tool development, changes to the oval repository, other ideas)?

- Do you have any additional thoughts on how we could assist the community or simplify your process?

Please also let us know if you have any additional comments or ideas about how we could help reduce OVAL Content development and maintenance efforts.

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Jon

Jonathan O. Baker

G022 - IA Industry Collaboration

The MITRE Corporation

Email: [hidden email]

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DISCUSSION-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].