New CPE Governance Model

CPE Community,

I wanted to update everyone on the status of CPE with respect to Governance.  As part of an overall effort to provide structure and responsiveness to SCAP standards, CPE is enacting a more structured governance model around this initiative to help it grow and prosper.  We believe the new model will result in a positive change regarding how CPE will move forward related to issues and future direction.

The new governance structure is outlined in the attached document.  It talks about the different roles and responsibilities, as well as how decisions are made.  Please take a minute to read it.

The MITRE Corporation will continue in its role as moderator and will work with the community to build consensus on open issues.

The NSA will step into the role of Government Sponsor and will provide oversight for the CPE initiative.  This will be headed by Lt. Col Joe Wolfkiel.

I am looking forward to this improved structure surrounding CPE and expect it to help us continue to mature CPE in the coming years.

Thank you
Drew

---------

cpe-governance.pdf (209K) Download Attachment

Re: New CPE Governance Model

Wolfkiel, Joseph
All,

I just want to take this opportunity to formally introduce myself as the
government sponsor for the Common Platform Enumeration (CPE).

My focus is to aggressively transform CPE into a dynamic, widely supported
standard for providing interoperable names of software installed on computing
platforms.

Under the new governance model, I will act as the decision point for issues
where concurrence can't be readily attained using the consensus-based forums
the discussion lists provide.

I encourage members of the list and the SCAP community to view me as someone
who they can contact and work with.  It's very important to me that we make
CPE into a standard that is useful across a wide range of vendors,
organizations, and applications.  The DoD, and the Federal Government as a
whole, have a huge stake in the success of the SCAP suite of standards and
recognize CPE as a cornerstone for interoperability.

- Joe Wolfkiel

Lt Col Joseph L. Wolfkiel
Director, Computer Network Defense Research & Technology (CND R&T) Program
Management Office
9800 Savage Rd Ste 6767
Ft Meade, MD 20755-6767
Commercial 410-854-5401 DSN 244-5401
Fax 410-854-6700

Re: New CPE Governance Model

Thomas Jones
Congratulations on the appointment Joe!

How do we as a community contribute cpe declarations now? I am ready to
submit my entire Novell suite of inventory definitions to the community.

I have just finished alpha production of the 8,000+ inventory
implementation in a native XML database. I am utilizing Xquery to
extract the data for the CPE community. How do you want the declarations
formatted?

Thanks,
Thomas Jones

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 10:59 -0500, Wolfkiel, Joseph wrote:

> All,
>
> I just want to take this opportunity to formally introduce myself as the
> government sponsor for the Common Platform Enumeration (CPE).
>
> My focus is to aggressively transform CPE into a dynamic, widely supported
> standard for providing interoperable names of software installed on computing
> platforms.
>
> Under the new governance model, I will act as the decision point for issues
> where concurrence can't be readily attained using the consensus-based forums
> the discussion lists provide.
>
> I encourage members of the list and the SCAP community to view me as someone
> who they can contact and work with.  It's very important to me that we make
> CPE into a standard that is useful across a wide range of vendors,
> organizations, and applications.  The DoD, and the Federal Government as a
> whole, have a huge stake in the success of the SCAP suite of standards and
> recognize CPE as a cornerstone for interoperability.
>
> - Joe Wolfkiel
>

> Lt Col Joseph L. Wolfkiel
> Director, Computer Network Defense Research & Technology (CND R&T) Program
> Management Office
> 9800 Savage Rd Ste 6767
> Ft Meade, MD 20755-6767
> Commercial 410-854-5401 DSN 244-5401
> Fax 410-854-6700

Re: New CPE Governance Model

Wolfkiel, Joseph
Please work with Drew as you would have previously.  We are discussing how
we can streamline the CPE process and working with NIST on roles and
responsibility for content management.  You'll be hearing more in the near
future on that.

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment