New Symlink_test has no behaviors?

John Ulmer
Quick question to the group.

The new symlink_test smells, to me, like any other file test, yet, the object does not have the typical 'file' search behaviors.

What am I missing?
Is this intentional?
If it is, what do we do with things like remote file systems?

SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST
in the BODY of the message.  If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: New Symlink_test has no behaviors?

David Solin-3
It’s not exactly like any other file test, because it doesn’t support the path and filename entities — just the filepath entity.  The FileBehaviors really only apply the the path entity.  So, I guess it really more closely resembles the macos:plist test than other file-based tests.

I designed the symlink_object primarily so that it could be used to get the canonical path of links obtained by other file tests, so I was thinking the filepath would normally be fed by a variable.

I’m certainly open to adding the path, filename and behaviors if you think it’s important to do so.

Best regards,
—David A. Solin
Co-Founder, Research & Technology
[hidden email]

> On Aug 4, 2015, at 1:36 PM, Ulmer, John R. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Quick question to the group.
>
> The new symlink_test smells, to me, like any other file test, yet, the object does not have the typical 'file' search behaviors.
>
> What am I missing?
> Is this intentional?
> If it is, what do we do with things like remote file systems?
>

> Thanks,
> SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST
> in the BODY of the message.  If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with
SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST
in the BODY of the message.  If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: New Symlink_test has no behaviors?

John Ulmer
I'm not advocating for a change.
'Just trying to get a clear handle on what, exactly, we want this OVAL object to do.

Since 'filepath' is an 'oval-def:EntityObjectStringType', the operation can include 'pattern match' and 'not equal.'  To make the searches for a filepath that matches some arbitrary regex or 'not equal,' we'll have to surf the entire system, won't we?

Or, are we assuming the variable that feeds us the filepath will only produce explicit filepaths, essentially restricting the operation to an 'equals?'

It’s not exactly like any other file test, because it doesn’t support the path and filename entities — just the filepath entity.  The FileBehaviors really only apply the the path entity.  So, I guess it really more closely resembles the macos:plist test than other file-based tests.

I designed the symlink_object primarily so that it could be used to get the canonical path of links obtained by other file tests, so I was thinking the filepath would normally be fed by a variable.

I’m certainly open to adding the path, filename and behaviors if you think it’s important to do so.

Best regards,
—David A. Solin
Co-Founder, Research & Technology
[hidden email]

> On Aug 4, 2015, at 1:36 PM, Ulmer, John R. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Quick question to the group.
>
> The new symlink_test smells, to me, like any other file test, yet, the object does not have the typical 'file' search behaviors.
>
> What am I missing?
> Is this intentional?
> If it is, what do we do with things like remote file systems?
>

> Thanks,
> SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST
> in the BODY of the message.  If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with
SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST
in the BODY of the message.  If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: New Symlink_test has no behaviors?

David Solin-3
The filepath pattern_match operation works on the symlink_test just like it does with other file-related tests.  In Joval’s case, we analyze the regular expression and if it’s left-anchored, we restrict the searching based on where we can reasonably determine the file might be.

So, there’s no restriction.  In practice however, apart from test content, we’ve only created ‘real’ symlink_object content that's based on variable values and the equals operation.