Planning for CybOX 2.0.1 Update Release

Wunder, John A.

Hello,

Due to a small number of high-priority bugs in the current CybOX release (2.0), we’re planning to release a new version of CybOX within the next few weeks. This next version will be an “update release” which, per our versioning policy will be numbered 2.0.1 and will address several critical fixes affecting usability. Specifically, we intend to fix four major bugs:

·         #9: The ‘type’ attribute of URIObject is fixed to ‘URL’ and cannot be changed. This bug makes it impossible to use the URIObject to specify domain names and general URNs. The fix will be to simply remove the “fixed” specification on the ‘type’ attribute which will allow for it to be use used to specify either URLs, Domains, or URNs as intended.

·         #19: URL_Label of the version 1.0 Link_Object should be of type cyboxCommon:StringObjectPropertyType. This bug makes it impossible to apply the standard CybOX property field modifiers (condition, etc.) to the field. The fix will be to change the field type from xs:string to cyboxCommon:StringObjectPropertyType.

·         #21: URL_Label field of LinkObj:LinkObjectType should be option. Unlike all other CybOX property fields and most of CybOX generally, this field is currently required. This prevents users from creating Link Objects that do not have a URL_Label field. The fix will be to change the minOccurs specification from “1” to “0”.

·         #90: Correct the annotations on *ObjectPropertyType to specify the correct delimiter. Currently, the annotations on all types extending from BaseObjectPropertyType state that ‘,’ should be used to delimit multiple values. In fact, use of , will be automatically decoded to ‘,’ in most XML implementations and thus will be indistinguishable from non-entity commas, which might be present in field data. Use of ##comma## instead will prevent this and will allow the use of both native commas and of multivalue object property fields.

In addition to these four critical bugs, we plan to roll an additional 10 bug fixes into the release. While these bugs aren’t as critical as those explained above, since we’re publishing a new release we decided it would be best to fix them in it. The full set of bugs targeted for inclusion in 2.0.1 is available on Github: https://github.com/CybOXProject/schemas/issues?milestone=3&state=open

Before freezing the set of bugs that will be considered for the release we wanted to see if anyone in the community had an additional bugs that they wanted to include or felt that any of the bugs we’re currently including should be delayed or discussed further. Please take a look through the full list and either comment on the bugs themselves in GitHub or send any comments as a reply to this message.

One other note is that besides this near-term update release, we intend to release a new minor version of CybOX, 2.1 within the next few months. That minor release will incorporate new features and bug fixes that we’ve had a little more time to discuss. We’re hoping that the combination of the update release and the minor release will let us fix the critical bugs near-term while being able to take our time with the more complicated issues to make sure we get them right.

Finally, in conjunction with this release of CybOX 2.0.1 we plan to release STIX 1.0.1 and MAEC 4.0.1 that will upgrade to this version of CybOX and may fix minor bugs in those schemas. Those releases will be discussed on their respective discussion lists.

John

RE: Planning for CybOX 2.0.1 Update Release

Wunder, John A.

Hi everyone,

We heard from a few of you out-of-band that this release sounds good, so this is your warning that at the end of the day we plan to freeze the set of issues for this release and proceed with implementation. If you have any comments or feedback on the release, please get them in before the end of the day.

If the release goes as planned we’re expecting the updated schemas, bindings, and APIs for CybOX 2.0.1 will be available on the cybox.mitre.org website on Sept. 20 (this Friday).

Thanks, and as always let us know if you have any feedback, questions, or concerns.

John and the CybOX Team