Question/Discussion about https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/308.html

Kurt Seifried
https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/308.html

Description Summary

The use of single-factor authentication can lead to unnecessary risk of compromise when compared with the benefits of a dual-factor authentication scheme.

Extended Description

While the use of multiple authentication schemes is simply piling on more complexity on top of authentication, it is inestimably valuable to have such measures of redundancy. The use of weak, reused, and common passwords is rampant on the internet. Without the added protection of multiple authentication schemes, a single mistake can result in the compromise of an account. For this reason, if multiple schemes are possible and also easy to use, they should be implemented and required.

Can I suggest we either clarify that the authentication schemes must be different (e.g. having a password and a secret question, well, that's the same kind of authentication and thus vulnerable to the same failure scenario, e.g. a key logger/shoulder surfer) or we split this CWE to clarify it (e.g. keep this CWE, but add a CWE talking about multiple authentication that are different).
--
Kurt Seifried