Question on platform release versions of OVAL

Question on platform release versions of OVAL

jack.vanderpol
In viewing the changelog at:  https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/wiki/Changelog I was expecting to see version 5.11.1:1.0 in the UNIX, Windows, MacOS, Linux, Independent, Cisco-IOS-XE, Cisco IOS, Cisco ASA and Apple IOS schema's, as they have documented changes, but was suprised to also find 5.11.1:1.0 in the AIX, Android, Apache, CatOS, esx, freebsd, and so on, essentially every schema except oval-common, oval-def, oval-directives, oval-system-characteritics and oval-variables.

I'm not following why platforms not listed on the changelog were updated, although I'll admit I'm far from an expert on the new schema versioning logic, maybe someone can enlighten me?

Thanks,

Jack Vander Pol

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with
SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST
in the BODY of the message.  If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: Question on platform release versions of OVAL

drothenberg
Jack,
I believe the confusion is in the way the changelog has historically been broken down. The introduction at the top of the page was an attempt to clarify that: "The following lists the collective changes made to the specified OVAL versions to arrive at the current OVAL Language version." If you check the listing at https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/wiki/Latest , you will see that those schemas with documented changes are listed as version 5.11.1:1.1. The AIX, Android, etc. platforms remain at version 5.11.1:1.0. These platforms were brought up to version 5.11.1:1.0 due to the core changes that affected the initial 5.11.0 release.

Does that help?

Thanks,
David Rothenberg

SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST
in the BODY of the message.  If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: Question on platform release versions of OVAL

jack.vanderpol
Thanks for the clarification David, although I'm not sure I would have ever inferred that from the reading changelog page.

Something like the following example appears to be update for 5.11.1:1.0, not 5.11.1:1.1.

UNIX 5.11.1:1.0

  *   Fixed multiple Schematron rules referencing an incorrect Object, or using an OVAL Sandbox XML namespace. Issue #235<https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/235>.
  *   Added sunrpc_tcp and sunrpc_udp enumeration values to EntityStateEndpointType. Issue #251<https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/251>.
  *   Expanded datatype restrictions to be either string or int to remove backwards incompatibility for file_/(group_id,user_id, a_time, c_time, m_time), password_/(user_id, group_id), and shadow_*/(chg_lst, chg_allow, chg_req, exp_warn, exp_inact, exp_date) entities. Issue #244<https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/244>.

Updating each to list 5.11.1:1.1 would help a bunch I think.  (although the log syntax is still really confusing, but another topic entirely)

What comprised the 5.11.1:1.0 release?  Based on the logic below, I'm guessing it's the following?  If so, why not list 5.11.1:1.0.

Version 5.11.0

  *   Added new optional platform attribute to schema_version generator element to declare platform extension versions rather than incorrect usage of the xmlns attribute as previously documented. Issue #236<https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/236>.
  *   Re-implemented Notes using substitution groups that allow for backwards compatibility with Notes elements defined from oval-def. Issue #237<https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/237>.
  *   Corrected documentation for the GlobToRegexFunctionType evaluation results. Included evaluation tables and improved text formatting. Issue #245<https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/245>.
  *   Added check_existence attribute to State entities. Issue #191<https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/191>.
  *   Introduced new debian_evr_string simple datatype. This will distinguish rpm and dpkg evr values since they use different algorithms for comparison. Sandbox Repository Issue #142<https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/142>.

What is/was 5.11.0 anyway? Does it exist somewhere?  Per the changelog it appears to have been a release that I missed.

Also, would it be possible to have the changelog easily accessible from the primary language page?  I had to google search to find it.

Hope this make sense, just trying to make it easier for everyone to understand what changed, and in what release.

Sincerely,

Jack Vander Pol

SPAWAR Systems Center Atlantic