Re: CVE and CPE synchronization

Brant Cheikes

Ryan,

This is a known issue.  NIST’s NVD is populated by a team of analysts who review incoming CVEs from MITRE and attempt to link those CVEs authoritatively to the affected CPEs.  This process causes new CPEs to be generated by the NVD analysts and submitted for inclusion in the CPE Dictionary—but the pipe is filled far faster than the CPE review team is able to drain it (i.e., vet the CPEs and enter them into the official dictionary).  This results in a situation in which some CVEs in the NVD refer to CPEs that aren’t yet in the dictionary; rather, they’re submitted and under review.  NIST is aware and working to improve synchronization between the two data feeds.

/Brant

Brant A. Cheikes
The MITRE Corporation
202 Burlington Road, M/S K302
Bedford, MA 01730-1420
Tel. 781-271-7505; Cell. 617-694-8180; Fax. 781-271-2352