Self-introduction (OpenVAS/Greenbone)

Jan-Oliver Wagner-3
Dear CPE community,

I was recently invited to join this list because of our
activities to integrate CPE support into
the Open Source network security scanner OpenVAS [1]
and into the Greenbone Security Manager [2] [3] which is
based on the OpenVAS framework.

Currently we are interested in finding Open Source
inventory tools capable to handle CPE. Any hint
is very much appreciated.

Apart from this, we are in general interested in
Open Source developements regarding CPE and likely
will progress some on our own.

That being said, here in Europe CPE (and also OVAL etc)
do not receive much attention. So I am interested
in whether there are CPE community members located
in Europe.

Best regards

        Jan

[1] http://www.openvas.org
[2] http://www.greenbone.net/learningcenter/task_cpe_inventory.html
[3] http://www.greenbone.net/learningcenter/task_cpe_policy_checks.html

--
Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner |  ++49-541-335084-0  |  http://www.greenbone.net/

Re: Self-introduction (OpenVAS/Greenbone)

Steph-3
Hi Jan,

There is a nice tool, sigvi, http://sigvi.upcnet.es/index.php working with CPE.
The developer (Sebatian Gomez) is in Spain, so you have here a fine
European development.
It is basically doing what Cassandra was doing, but you can host it
locally: you make an inventory (CPE based), the tool watches the rss
feed of NVD, and notifies you if it finds a match.
The latest version is not yet uploaded on sourceforge, so you can ask
directly to Sebastian. He lately integrated an nmap based inventory,
so it could be something that fits nicely in your project.

Best regards,
  Stéphane