Structured Cyber Threat (STIX/TAXII/CybOX/MAEC) Birds-of-a-feather get together for RSA (Tuesday 5:00 - 6:00pm at Urban Tavern, Hilton Union Square)

Structured Cyber Threat (STIX/TAXII/CybOX/MAEC) Birds-of-a-feather get together for RSA (Tuesday 5:00 - 6:00pm at Urban Tavern, Hilton Union Square)

Barnum, Sean D.

Hi all,

Sorry for the late notice on this but we have had several people state their interest in getting together at RSA to socialize and talk about structured cyber threat intelligence and information sharing.

We didn’t want to waste the opportunity of so many of us being in the same location with face-to-face and beer-to-beer sharing possible.

Our friends at Crowdstrike (thanks Josh) have graciously offered to help us out with arranging a meeting location in a private dining room at the Urban Tavern at Hilton Union Square.

It can accommodate up to 90 people and will include food (dinner or refreshments, depending on our exact numbers) and drinks.

I know a lot of you will be in town for RSA and we would love to have a chance to see you and talk and more importantly, give you all a chance to talk to each other.

Please let us know as soon as possible if you think you can make it so we can begin to get a headcount.

Details:

Event:    Structured Cyber Threat (STIX/TAXII/CybOX/MAEC) Birds-of-a-feather get together for RSA

Time:     5:00pm – 6:00pm, Tuesday Feb 26th

Place:    Urban Tavern

               333 O'Farrell St, San Francisco, CA

Hilton San Francisco Union Square

We hope to see you all there.

sean

Sean Barnum

Cyber Security Principal

The MITRE Corporation

Email: [hidden email]

Community Process for Global STIX/TAXII/CybOX/MAEC Collaboration and related questions

PAT MARONEY-2
Question 1:

What is the community process for collaboration and tracking issues that transcend a specific element (e.g. Not TAXII, CybOX, STIX specific)?

For example, I'm still seeing a number of issues with bindings/includes across the python-cybox, python-taxii, python-stix libraries in the new releases.  note: I presume some of this is just an expected artifact of changes/progress, I'm just using this as an illustrative example for the context of this message.

Don't want to create duplicate Issue tracker items within each repository.  Also don't want to fix the same issue in multiple places and try to reconcile

Question 2:

We've already discussed the risk/benefits of maintaining each of these components separately (including internal dependancies).  However, this continues to introduce issues where these dependancies do exist and changes are not centrally managed and coordinated.  There are also apparent namespace collisions within elements in each repository.

There is going to be a lot of community driven content and change as momentum builds.  I also think it's critical to develop a layer of abstraction between these underlying complexities so impediments to adoption are reduced.  Technical barriers to entry are still too high for many organizations to access and test Reference Implementations/Samples/Examples.

Is there any way to build an overarching central framework with branches for individual components like MAEC, TAXII that those seeking only those specific components can reference while providing us an effective way to globally manage change and dependancies centrally?

Any other thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Question 3:

If anyone has or is interested in discussing/building a community library of ipython notebooks and/or Semantic Mediawiki wikis that would cover topics like the following, please reach out.

1) Step by step baseline processes (e.g. installing python on different platforms, tools, libraries, php, IDEs/Eclipse, etc.).  These would of course leverage/incorporate/reference the massive bodies of existing documentation, etc.  but would provide a step by step sequence framework.

For example just installing Python and all of the requisite underlying frameworks/tools/libraries on Mac OSX 10.8.2  (where Apple disabled a number of underlying components) requires dozens of individual discrete processes that need to follow a fairly strict sequence of steps.  I wish I had managed and captured this process in iPython Notebook

2) Self contained examples within each component (TAXII, STIX, CybOX, MAEC).

3) Self contained examples that integrate these components.

Patrick Maroney
Cell: (609)841-5104