Suggestion/idea for community-submitted content

Suggestion/idea for community-submitted content

Robert Hollis

What would you think of adding a “Content Under Review” section of the MITRE website.  XML documents submitted by the community could be placed here until they are rolled into the repository… or rejected.  The only prerequisite would be for the document to validate (just a quick sanity check to avoiding impeding the existing process too much).

Of course, the page would be riddled with ‘use at your own risk’ warnings.  Comments about a document can still be submitted to the forums.  Thoughts?

-rob

Robert L. Hollis
ThreatGuard, Inc.
Continuous Compliance Management
Bolt-on OVAL-5 Integration Modules
www.ThreatGuard.com

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DISCUSSION-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: Suggestion/idea for community-submitted content

Jon Baker
Administrator
Rob,

We are working to improve our internal processes for handling submissions to
the OVAL Repository. When processing a submission we have two conflicting
goals: speed, and correctness. We recognize the need to get the definitions
out to the community as quickly as possible to both increase the value of a
new submission and facilitate community review, but we also don't want to
compromise the quality/integrity of the OVAL Repository as a result.

We realize that there is limit to the value we can add to a submission
depending on the area the submission covers. For example, we can fairly
thoroughly review most Windows content, but we can not add much value to
HP-UX content. Recently community review of the OVAL Repository has greatly
increased and there is a real need to get submissions into the OVAL
Repository quickly so that it can be reviewed by the community. With the
above in mind, we would like to propose the following process for the
handling of new submissions to the OVAL Repository:

1- Initial Review of new submission
2- Publication of new submission
3- Secondary Review
4- Discussion of edits on oval-discussion-list
5- Publication of edits to OVAL Repository

I have detailed these steps below:

1- Initial review:
The initial review of a submission will ensure that it does not "break" any
existing content in the OVAL Repository. Since a new submission might
include changes to existing content we must review all the items that have
been reused to ensure that any changes are both reasonable and properly
reflected in the other existing OVAL Repository content. New submissions
will be validated against the xml schema and schematron.

2- Publication of new submission:
All new submissions to the OVAL Repository will be imported into the OVAL
Repository and made publicly available as soon as possible after initial
review. We will attempt to have new submission posted within 2 days. So a
Wednesday submission could appear in the OVAL Repository by late Friday. All
new submission will appear in DRAFT status.

3- Secondary review:
This will be an ongoing process that will include checking for proper use of
existing OVAL Repository content, definition metadata, and comments. All new
submissions will be reviewed by MITRE for correctness.

4- Discussion of edits on oval-discussion-list:
Any changes/issues/comments that MITRE has about a new submission will be
publicized via the oval-discussion-list to include the community in the
process.

5- Publication of edits to OVAL Repository:
Once the community has agreed on a change the OVAL Repository will be
updated as soon as possible. Note that our priority will be to get new
submissions into the OVAL Repository as soon as possible so that new
submissions are available to the Community. This means that at times
publishing an agreed upon change to the OVAL Repository might be delayed by
the Initial review process.

I think that the above changes to our internal processing of submissions to
the OVAL Repository would alleviate the need for a "Content Under Review"
page. What do you think?

When will we start this??? Our plan is to start working towards this revised
process after we complete the review of the August patch Tuesday content
submitted by ThreatGuard. We need to do some internal tool development to
support this process so initially we will be a bit slower than "posted
within 2 days". I would expect our turn around time to be around 5 working
days. Internal tool development should be completed by the release of the
October patch Tuesday content.

Regards,

Jon

Jon Baker
INFOSEC Eng/Scientist, Sr.
The MITRE Corporation
Office: 781-271-8357

Hi Jon,

Thanks for taking a solid look at this.

Having reviewed content in 2 days is better than having raw content in 1.
There is a long-term concern... when content submittals start rolling in
from the community at a much faster pace, the 2-day commitment may be a bit
overwhelming.  Of course, the process can be adjusted when the floodgates
open.

        ;-)