Transition of CPE from MITRE to NIST

Brant Cheikes

Members of the CPE Community,

We are pleased to announce that we are working with the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and the National Security Agency (NSA) to transition all intellectual property associated with the Common Platform Enumeration (CPE) from MITRE to NIST. Over the next few weeks, MITRE and NIST will be working closely to ensure a smooth transition that maintains the continuity of the effort.

What it Means

For the last several years, NIST has held operational responsibility for CPE. They host the Official CPE Dictionary, and handle the receipt, processing, and publication of CPE submissions. With the August 2011 publication of CPE v2.3 as a suite of NIST Interagency Reports (NIST IRs 7695 through 7698), the specification of the CPE standard itself transitioned from MITRE to NIST. Throughout that time, MITRE held the CPE trademark, maintained a legacy e-mail address for CPE submissions ([hidden email]), maintained the official CPE website (cpe.mitre.org), and operated and moderated the CPE Discussion List ([hidden email]). Going forward, all of CPE’s operating functions as well as ownership of the trademark will transition to NIST, and NIST will be fully responsible for all official CPE correspondence with vendors, the government, and the community. MITRE will continue to participate in an advisory role.

We believe that this change will enable CPE to continue to evolve to meet the needs of all stakeholders and community members.

/Brant

Brant A. Cheikes

MITRE CPE Task Lead
The MITRE Corporation
202 Burlington Road, M/S K302
Bedford, MA 01730-1420
Tel. 781-271-7505; Cell. 617-694-8180; Fax. 781-271-2352

Re: [cpe-discussion] Transition of CPE from MITRE to NIST

Booth, Harold
CPE Community Members,

We would like to thank MITRE for their work to advance CPE to this point. We are committed to continuing to evolve CPE to meet the needs of community members. Over the next few weeks, NIST will be working closely with MITRE to ensure a smooth transition that maintains the continuity of the effort. We will be working to transition remaining CPE operations and content to NIST.

For the first part of the transition we have established a new email address ([hidden email]) for general questions regarding CPE. We have also created a new mailing list ([hidden email]) for ongoing community discussion. Membership of the old list has been carried over and if you are receiving this message it is because you were a member of the previous mailing list. If you would like to unsubscribe to this new email list, please send an email to [hidden email]. The subject and body of the unsubscription email will be ignored.

Submissions for the CPE dictionary should still be directed at [hidden email].

We will keep you informed as we make additional progress. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Harold Booth

Re: [cpe-discussion] Transition of CPE from MITRE to NIST

Sebastien Aucouturier
Hi,
Does the transition can explain that link to download cpe dictionnaries
are broken ?

Best regards.

Le 08/03/2013 20:28, Booth, Harold a écrit :

> CPE Community Members,
>
> We would like to thank MITRE for their work to advance CPE to this
> point. We are committed to continuing to evolve CPE to meet the needs
> of community members. Over the next few weeks, NIST will be working
> closely with MITRE to ensure a smooth transition that maintains the
> continuity of the effort. We will be working to transition remaining
> CPE operations and content to NIST.
>
> For the first part of the transition we have established a new email
> address ([hidden email]) for general questions regarding CPE. We have
> also created a new mailing list ([hidden email]) for ongoing
> community discussion. Membership of the old list has been carried
> over
> and if you are receiving this message it is because you were a member
> of the previous mailing list. If you would like to unsubscribe to
> this
> new email list, please send an email to
> [hidden email]. The subject and body of the
> unsubscription email will be ignored.
>
> Submissions for the CPE dictionary should still be directed at
> [hidden email].
>
> We will keep you informed as we make additional progress. Please let
> us know if you have any questions.
>
> Sincerely,
> Harold Booth

"Le saviez-vous ? la technologie d'ITrust va sécuriser le cloud
français"

     | Sébastien AUCOUTURIER | Responsable R&D
     | ITrust | 55 L'Occitane 31670 LABEGE
     | Email: [hidden email]
     | Fixe Sdt. 05.67.34.67.80
     | IT Security Services & SaaS Editor

Re: [cpe-discussion] Transition of CPE from MITRE to NIST

Jon Baker
Administrator
The team at NIST is having some technical issues with their web server. The outage is unrelated to the transition of CPE.

Jon

Jonathan O. Baker
G022 - IA Industry Collaboration
The MITRE Corporation