Unix FileBehavior: recurse_file_system

lutton

Hi there,

I’m looking for clarification on the intent of the ‘defined’ value for the unix:FileBehavior recurse_file_system.  I’m not sure whether is means:

1-stay on the same ‘kind’ of filesystem (local or non-local) you start on, or

2-stay on the very same specific filesystem that you start on

For example, on Linux, if I start in ‘/’, if #1 holds, I would recurse into /proc, but if #2 holds I would not (as procfs is not the very same filesystem as ‘/’).

Thanks in advance,

Bill L.

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: Unix FileBehavior: recurse_file_system

joval
We interpreted it as equivalent to find with -xdev, which is your option #2.

--

jOVAL.org: SCAP Simplified.
Learn More | Features | Download

jOVAL.org: OVAL implemented in Java.
Scan any machine from any machine. For free!
Learn More | Features | Download

Re: Unix FileBehavior: recurse_file_system

Danny Haynes
Administrator

Hi Bill,

I would interpret recurse_file_system=”defined” as option (2) as well.  An analogous example on Windows would be if you specified “C:\Program Files”, your search would be limited to the “C:\” directory.

I added a tracker to update this documentation (https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/51).

Thanks,

Danny