[cti-users] Cybox CPE questions

Yong Lee Meng
Hi Everyone,

I'm quite new to cybox and this group. Please forgive me for silly questions.

I like to learn more about CPE usage in Java-stix + cybox.

I found DatatypeEnum that can contain CPE Name. For example, Cybox-System Object is using DatatypeEnum in ProcessorArchType. May i know which field should contain the description with cpe naming reqex if DatatypeEnum CPE Name is chosen?

May I have an example how CPE is used?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Lee Meng

This publicly archived list provides a forum for asking questions,
offering answers, and discussing topics of interest on STIX,
TAXII, and CybOX.  Users and developers of solutions that leverage
STIX, TAXII and CybOX are invited to participate.

In order to verify user consent to OASIS mailing list guidelines
and to minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required
before posting.

Subscribe: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: [hidden email]
Post: [hidden email]
List help: [hidden email]
List archive: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/cti-users/
List Guidelines: http://www.oasis-open.org/maillists/guidelines.php
CTI Technical Committee: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/cti/

Re: [cti-users] Cybox CPE questions

Walsh, Michael J.

Lee,

I have hope the example documentation will be at the same or as close to parity with the Python at some point, but there will always be these "“How do I do X, Y, or Z via java-stix?” questions.

My best advice to handle your question and ones like it is to start document-first and then from there create and inspect the resulting model to figure out how to start model-first.

In other words, get a document the way you want that you can validate through either the java-stix-validator or the python-validator, and then take the example code from say

https://github.com/STIXProject/java-stix/blob/master/src/main/java/org/mitre/stix/examples/XMLParser.java

And modify it to parse the document you've create into a model.  Open and debug your code in an IDE, placing a break point right after line 53 in the example, where the model is created and use the IDE to inspect the model to figure out how to create the same document via java-stix.

-Michael