plist probe not present in mac

suraj krishnaswami
Hi Team,

I am currently using the scanner on mac, but i am not able to find any vulnerability on mac operating system (version 10.9.5).
I saw the interpreter code, but could not find the plist probe. Please guide me, from where can i get the plist probe.
Am i missing something??
To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: plist probe not present in mac

Danny Haynes
Administrator

Hi Suraj,

Are you using the OVAL Interpreter (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ovaldi/)?

Thanks,

Danny

I am currently using the scanner on mac, but i am not able to find any vulnerability on mac operating system (version 10.9.5).
I saw the interpreter code, but could not find the plist probe. Please guide me, from where can i get the plist probe.
Am i missing something??

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: plist probe not present in mac

suraj krishnaswami
Hi Danny,

Yes i am using ovaldi. I have compiled source code ovaldi-5.10.1.7-src.zip ( from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ovaldi/files/ovaldi/5.10.1%20Build%207/) source code on mac.

This source code does not contain plist probe.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 6:05 PM, Haynes, Dan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Suraj,

Are you using the OVAL Interpreter (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ovaldi/)?

Thanks,

Danny

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: plist probe not present in mac

Danny Haynes
Administrator

Thanks for the additional information Suraj.  You are correct the plist probe is not included in the official source code for the OVAL Interpreter.  Unfortunately, support for the plist probe, in the OVAL Interpreter, is only experimental and as a result was not migrated from its branch to trunk.  You can find the code for the plist probe at the following link (src/probes/macos).

http://sourceforge.net/p/ovaldi/code/HEAD/tree/branches/plist_test/

As a side note, if you are looking for a product that supports the plist_test, you will want to check out the list of products on the OVAL Adoption Program participants page (http://oval.mitre.org/adoption/participants.html).  Products that support the plist_test should mention it in their OVAL Adoption Questionnaire.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Danny

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: plist probe not present in mac

suraj krishnaswami
Hi Danny,

Can you please tell, what can be the tentative time span by which the plist and related probes for mac, will be moved to the trunk in OVAL.

Thanks And Regards,
Suraj k.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 4:49 PM, David Solin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Suraj,

My email to you did not copy the OVAL-dev list.  You should email your inquiry to Danny directly.

Regards,
—David Solin

David A. Solin
Co-Founder, Research & Technology
[hidden email]

Joval Continuous Monitoring

Facebook Linkedin

On Apr 29, 2015, at 2:16 AM, Suraj Krishnaswami <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Danny,

Can you please tell, what can be the tentative time span by which the plist and related probes for mac, will be moved to the trunk in OVAL.

@David Thanks for the shared information, i will surely give it a try.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 6:33 PM, David Solin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just FYI, Suraj, Joval has full support for the MacOS schema.  You can download a free 30-day trial:

Regards,
—David Solin

David A. Solin
Co-Founder, Research & Technology
[hidden email]

Joval Continuous Monitoring

Facebook Linkedin

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Haynes, Dan" <[hidden email]>
Date: April 23, 2015 at 7:35:59 AM CDT

Hi Suraj,

Are you using the OVAL Interpreter (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ovaldi/)?

Thanks,

Danny

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: plist probe not present in mac

Danny Haynes
Administrator

Hi Suraj,

Unfortunately, MITRE is no longer developing the OVAL Interpreter.  As a result, there are no plans to move the plist probe to trunk.  It should be fairly easy to do it yourself though.  I think you will just need to copy over the PlistProbe.h and PlistProbe.cpp files, in src/probes/macos, and then just update src/macos/ProbeFactory.h and src/macos/ProbeFactory.cpp to include the plist probe.  Then you should just need to compile.

Thanks,

Danny

Can you please tell, what can be the tentative time span by which the plist and related probes for mac, will be moved to the trunk in OVAL.

Thanks And Regards,
Suraj k.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 4:49 PM, David Solin <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Suraj,

My email to you did not copy the OVAL-dev list.  You should email your inquiry to Danny directly.

Regards,

—David Solin

David A. Solin
Co-Founder, Research & Technology
[hidden email]

Image removed by sender. Joval Continuous Monitoring

Image removed by sender. FacebookImage removed by sender. Linkedin

From: "Haynes, Dan" <[hidden email]>

Date: April 23, 2015 at 7:35:59 AM CDT

Hi Suraj,

Are you using the OVAL Interpreter (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ovaldi/)?

Thanks,

Danny

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: plist probe not present in mac

Danny Haynes
Administrator

I also forget that we have this documentation (http://sourceforge.net/p/ovaldi/wiki/Probe%20Development/) that will show you how to integrate a probe into the OVAL Interpreter.  I would also note that we have instructions on how to build the OVAL Interpreter, from source, in docs/build.macos.txt.  Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Danny

From: "Haynes, Dan" <[hidden email]>

Date: April 23, 2015 at 7:35:59 AM CDT

Hi Suraj,

Are you using the OVAL Interpreter (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ovaldi/)?

Thanks,

Danny

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: plist probe not present in mac

suraj krishnaswami
Hi Danny,
Thanks for the information. The documentation related to probe is quite useful.
If MITRE is no longer supporting development of OVAL interpreter, then, is the interpreter development stopped as of now?
If future versions of OVAL schema is released, will there be a corresponding interpreter available?

From: "Haynes, Dan" <[hidden email]>

Date: April 23, 2015 at 7:35:59 AM CDT

Hi Suraj,

Are you using the OVAL Interpreter (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ovaldi/)?

Thanks,

Danny

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: plist probe not present in mac

Danny Haynes
Administrator

Hi Suraj,

Yes, you are correct.  MITRE is no longer funded to develop the OVAL Interpreter.  As a result, there will not be future updates to the OVAL Interpreter as new schemas are released.

With that said, if people in the community are interested in contributing to the OVAL Interpreter moving forward, please let us know.  We would like to allow the community to continue to use it if they find it useful.

From: "Haynes, Dan" <[hidden email]>

Date: April 23, 2015 at 7:35:59 AM CDT

Hi Suraj,

Are you using the OVAL Interpreter (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ovaldi/)?

Thanks,

Danny

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: plist probe not present in mac

suraj krishnaswami
Hi Dan,

Sorry for late the reply.
I just wanted to say, i feel the community should continue with the oval interpreter. It is one of the best tools for vulnerability scanning.
And i hope even the community will contribute towards it.

From: "Haynes, Dan" <[hidden email]>

Date: April 23, 2015 at 7:35:59 AM CDT