Quantcast

unix definitions

Quint, Scott

Anyone,

   I have been attempting to download the UNIX OVAL defs but when I click on the Save XML button, the XML Never comes through and eventually the Browser times out with an error.

1>     Is anyone working to fix this?

2>     Is there another way to get these definitions?

Scott Quint

DTCC CIS

Senior Automation Engineer

[hidden email]

DTCC Non-Confidential - White

DTCC DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and any attachments from your system. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DISCUSSION-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: unix definitions

Hansbury, Matt
Hi Scott,

You're hitting a known issue with our infrastructure at the moment.  When you try to save the XML from a search, the code has to construct the XML document from our data store.  In the case where the result set is particularly big, you can get the Apache timeout that you are seeing, as it ends up taking a long time to construct the XML.

We've spent some time trying to extend the timeout, but have had some challenges with our  infrastructure getting that working correctly.  We are currently developing a new set of tools that will solve this problem correctly (essentially by not blocking on the request).

In the meantime, are you able to chop up the content further?  If you're able to download the content you want in smaller chunks, that would get around the issue.  If that isn't possible, let us know and we'll figure out something else.

Thanks
Matt

SIGNOFF OVAL-DISCUSSION-LIST
in the BODY of the message.  If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: unix definitions

Quint, Scott
Hi Matt,
      Thanks for the reply. Yes, I noticed that the total reported UNIX definitions was over 8000 so I guessed that this may be a size issue. I built an OVAL merge tool so I went ahead and downloaded the pertinent content in pieces and reassembled them into a single file.
     Of course this leads me to the suggestion that the search page allow the selection of more than one product and or platform in a single search so I don't have to do 17 searches and downloads.

[...]

<BR>_____________________________________________________________
<FONT size=2><BR>
DTCC DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and any
attachments from your system. The recipient should check this email
and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The company
accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted
by this email.</FONT>

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with
SIGNOFF OVAL-DISCUSSION-LIST
in the BODY of the message.  If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: unix definitions

Hansbury, Matt
Scott,

The size is absolutely the issue (although it does also depend on the number of dependencies as well).  Your approach of breaking things up for download, and then re-constructing is by far the easiest way we have (currently) for dealing with that issue, so I'm glad it worked out for you.

As I said, we are addressing this issue currently.  I will also add a tracker to capture your feature request to allow searches by multiple products and/or platforms.

You also said that you built an OVAL Merge tool.  It may not help at this point, but our team here also had built a merge tool for the OVAL Utilities project:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ovalutils/

You may be past the point of that being of help to you, but I figured it was worth mentioning.