win metabase item - name element

lutton

Hi there,

What is the intent of the ‘name’ element of the metabase item?   The spec doesn’t provide much guidance as to what appropriate values might be here.

Ovaldi appears to include the name element with status ‘not collected’.  The spec indicates that this element has minOccurs 0.  What is the difference between leaving out the name element and including it with status not collected?

Thanks in advance,

Bill L.

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: win metabase item - name element

lutton

Anyone?   Bueller…

Just to be clear, my concern with the name element is that content authors might use it in a metabase state.   Without some kind of standard/specification for this it seems problematic to create content that will interoperate with different SC generator tools.  Am I off base here?

Thanks in advance,

Bill L.

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: win metabase item - name element

Danny Haynes
Administrator

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the delay.  It looks like I lost track of this.

I believe the name entity is supposed to represent the friendly name associated with a metabase property ID (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms524578(v=vs.90).aspx#friendly).

Unfortunately, when I originally tried to implement the name entity in OVALDI, I couldn’t find out how to collect that information which is why it has a status="not collected".  Based on the link above, it sounds like you can probably get that information from the SDK (or at least be able to write your own code to convert the property id to friendly name).

I have added the following tracker to clarify this documentation (https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/17).

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Danny

Just to be clear, my concern with the name element is that content authors might use it in a metabase state.   Without some kind of standard/specification for this it seems problematic to create content that will interoperate with different SC generator tools.  Am I off base here?

Thanks in advance,

Bill L.

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: win metabase item - name element

lutton

Hi Danny,

Thanks for getting back.  I looked at the webpage you recommended (and in IIScnfg.h).  I also followed to the details page for an individual attribute (e.g. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms525851(v=vs.90).aspx)

I believe we are running into multiple ways to use the word ‘friendly’.  It seems to me that the MS docs are referring to ‘programmer friendly’ – as in, you don’t have to use a literal numeric you can use a #defined symbol to refer to a property. (e.g. MD_APPPOOL_PERIODIC_RESTART_REQUEST_COUNT in lieu of 9002).

Another way to use the word friendly would be something like ‘user friendly’ – as in a ‘display string’ that I could look up that (immutably) corresponds to an internal id.  This does not appear to exist (directly at least).  Each metabase property does have a relatively user friendly name – the name at the top of the documentation page (e.g. PeriodicRestartRequest).  I don’t know if these are guaranteed to not change over time (as compared to the #define names which are somewhat more likely to remain fixed over time).

So, I guess I’m still left wondering what the best thing to do in my SC generator:

-leave the name element as ‘not collected’

-pick names to return (with the risk that the standard might evolve to specify names different than those I picked

Thanks in advance,

Bill L.

Just to be clear, my concern with the name element is that content authors might use it in a metabase state.   Without some kind of standard/specification for this it seems problematic to create content that will interoperate with different SC generator tools.  Am I off base here?

Thanks in advance,

Bill L.

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: win metabase item - name element

Danny Haynes
Administrator

Hi Bill,

I just gave Metabase Explorer a try (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840671).

It gives me a table with some of the following columns.  I included some of the values of one of the rows.

*ID                = 1002

*Name         = KeyType
*Data Type  = String
*Data           = IIS_ROOT

*Attributes  = none

This makes me think that you are right and it was probably not meant to be the “programmer-friendly” name, but, rather the “user-friendly” name at the top of the documentation.  It also makes me think that status=“not collected” is the way to go if we can figure out how to retrieve the value (unless you want to hard-code the mapping or can find the API used).

I wonder how Metabase Explorer gets property name values (hard-coded, documented API, un-documented API)?

Has anyone else been able to track down how to retrieve this information?

Thanks,

Danny

Just to be clear, my concern with the name element is that content authors might use it in a metabase state.   Without some kind of standard/specification for this it seems problematic to create content that will interoperate with different SC generator tools.  Am I off base here?

Thanks in advance,

Bill L.

To unsubscribe, send an email message to [hidden email] with SIGNOFF OVAL-DEVELOPER-LIST in the BODY of the message. If you have difficulties, write to [hidden email].

Re: win metabase item - name element

Gunnar Engelbach
It's been a while since I worked with IIS Metabase, but I'll tell you
what I remember, for whatever good that does.

If you do a search for examples of managing IIS, mostly via VBScript,
properties are referenced via name, not numerical ID.  Given that recent
versions (6 and later) of IIS use XML as the underlying storage
mechanism, the property names are the actual reference and the property
IDs are just a mapping to those names which are only as accurate as the
last time you updated your SDK.

The property name corresponds to the last component of the path to the
value. This isn't apparent if you use the ABO interface, but is much
more obvious if you use VBScript, DirectoryServices (IIS 7+), or
ServerManager (IIS 5, 5.1, & 6).  Or just look at the underlying
configuration files:  %SystemRoot%\system32\inetsrv\MetaBase.xml for IIS
6,  Machine.config, ApplicationHost.config, and multiple web.config
files for IIS 7.

On 2/18/2013 10:50 AM, Haynes, Dan wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> I just gave Metabase Explorer a try
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840671).
>
> It gives me a table with some of the following columns.  I included some
> of the values of one of the rows.
>
> *ID                = 1002
>
> *Name         = KeyType
> *Data Type  = String
> *Data           = IIS_ROOT
>
> *Attributes  = none
>
> …
>
> This makes me think that you are right and it was probably not meant to
> be the “programmer-friendly” name, but, rather the “user-friendly” name
> at the top of the documentation.  It also makes me think that
> status=“not collected” is the way to go if we can figure out how to
> retrieve the value (unless you want to hard-code the mapping or can find
> the API used).
>
> I wonder how Metabase Explorer gets property name values (hard-coded,
> documented API, un-documented API)?
>

> Has anyone else been able to track down how to retrieve this information?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Danny

While I was just playing with Metabase Explorer, I realized that there is a "Schema" option in the metabase for my system.  Anyways, when you click on one of the children, you will get a listing of property ids and names.  I think this means the you could probably carry out the mapping by examining the schema ( I think this is what you were getting at Gunnar :) ).  I also found this thread which appears to hint at the same thing (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5668377/how-to-get-the-numeric-id-of-an-iis-6-metabase-property-in-c).

Thanks,

Danny